[Vegan Coconut Rum Apricot Cupcakes]
Sweet apricots, infused with coconut rum, speckle the inside of this vegan coconut cupcake. It's all topped off with an apricot glaze, coconut flakes and a glacéed apricot.
My entry for December's Cupcake Hero::[Coconut] event (guest-hosted by Jamieanne of The Sweetest Kitchen, co-winner of November's Cupcake Hero) was inspired by three recipes from the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World cookbook. Taking elements from the Coconut Lime, Apricot-Glazed Almond and Rum Raisin cupcakes, this yummy vegan cupcake is bursting with sweet coconut and apricot goodness. There's a tiniest hint of saltiness to enhance the coconut flavor and just enough of the coconut rummy taste in there to round it off-- without making you feel like you've just bitten into a cocktail.
These would be great for an April Fool's Day meal too, since the tops kinda look like sunny-side up eggs? But they're cupcakes? Vegan cupcakes??? :)
Vegan Coconut Rum Apricot Cupcakes (Makes 12)
Inspired by Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
⅔ cup diced apricots
2 Tbl. coconut rum
⅓ cup vegetable shortening (or coconut oil, if you can find it) --melted
¾ cup sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut extract
1 cup + 2 Tbl. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
⅓ cup apricot preserves or jam
2 tsp. coconut rum
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes*
12 dried apricots
- Combine diced apricots with 2 Tbl. coconut rum in a small bowl or cup. Cover and let soak for at least 30 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place baking liners into 12 wells of a muffin pan. These are on the sticky side, so you may want to spray your liners as well.
- Combine melted shortening, sugar, and coconut milk in a medium bowl. (I like to use a glass bowl and microwave the shortening until melted, then add the other ingredients.) Whisk until smooth.
- Add vanilla and coconut extracts, and whisk again.
- Stir in apricots and any residual rum soaking liquid.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to evenly distribute. Add to liquid mixture and stir just until smooth (don't over mix).
- Portion batter into prepared muffin cups (cups will seem full), and bake at 350°F for 20-23 minutes, or until cupcakes test done. These cupcakes do not rise very much, and the outsides will bake to a beautiful golden caramel color. Cool completely before glazing.
- Make Glaze: Heat apricot preserves/jam with coconut rum in a small saucepan until boiling, stirring constantly. Let boil for one minute, continuing to stir the mixture. Remove from heat and stir for another 30 seconds. Use a pastry brush to apply a double layer of glaze to tops of cupcakes (brush all 12, then go back to first one and begin brushing again). There will be extra glaze; save this to glacée the apricots.
- Sprinkle each cupcake with 2 teaspoons of coconut flakes.
- Working one at a time, dip a whole dried apricot into the leftover glaze (toothpicks work great for this!), then place on top of coconut-capped cupcake. Allow to set before serving.