Monday, October 19, 2009

My Girl, Paula: Crispy Rice Candy Corn Treats



This week's My Girl, Paula! dish is Crispy Rice Candy Corn Treats, which takes your standard cereal treat to the next level with the addition of chopped candy corn.  It's a fun idea, but I don't know of many candy corn fans (besides me, in my pre-braces days) at my workplace.  Instead, I layered different colors of cereal treats to resemble candy corn stripes.  Each layer is a different flavor too, for added fun!  To get the tall cubes, you'll have to make 2 batches...but there are 3 layers so each batch will need to be your normal batch.  Don't worry, I did the math for you! 


Candy Corn Layered Cereal Treats
Makes about 60 cubes, depending on size

6 Tbl. butter, divided
21 oz. (two 10.5 oz bags) miniature marshmallows, divided
12 cups crisp rice cereal, divided
¾ tsp. salt, divided
½ tsp. lemon extract
½ tsp. orange extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
yellow gel food color
orange gel food color

Line a 9x13-inch pan with a parchment or waxed paper sling, leaving some overhang.  Spray lightly with non-stick spray.

Yellow layer: In a large pan over low heat, melt 2 Tbl. butter.  Add 7 oz. (about 4cups) marshmallows and stir to melt.  Once marshmallows have melted, add ¼ tsp. salt, lemon extract, and yellow food coloring.  (You will need more coloring than you think, because once the cereal is added the color will be muted slightly.)  Add 4 cups rice cereal to the colored/flavored marshmallow mixture and stir well to combine.  Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan. 

Orange layer: Repeat as for yellow layer, but using orange extract and orange food coloring.  Press evenly on top of yellow layer, pressing carefully to even out.

White layer: Repeat as for yellow layer, but add vanilla extract and leaving marshmallows white.  Press evenly on top of orange layer. 

When cool, remove cereal treats from pan by lifting up the paper sling.  Place on cutting board.  Carefully peel paper away from sides.  Slice through cereal treats with a large, sharp knife (I used a chef's knife), trying to keep the shape small and cube-like.  Serve and enjoy! ♥

Visit the My Girl, Paula! blog and check out the other members.

3 comments:

  1. These are such a cute twist on a classic. Great job, Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear what you're saying about the candy corn. I'm okay with it, but my daughter doesn't like it and my son is allergic to red dye. We used the candy pumpkins which turned out cute. I LOVE yours, very original idea. I bet everyone at work jumped all over them. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love them! What a great idea. They look awesome. I will definately have to try them that way.

    ReplyDelete