Monday, May 26, 2008

A Different Sort of Swirl

You may or may not have noticed that I've been on a cupcake kick lately, and that I tend to decorate them with the same frosting swirl. Don't get me wrong, I love using the 1M swirl on top of my cupcakes. It's elegant and makes fast work out of frosting cupcakes. I'm not kidding when I say that it probably takes me 3 times as long to just use an offset spatula to spread icing on compared to using a piping bag. I've said before that I have some sort of problem with getting things "just so," so when I'm spreading on icing by hand I tend to go over the same spot multiple times to try to make it look right. With a piping bag, you get one shot. The swirl hides most imperfections.

That being said, I just don't think the 1M swirl is fitting for every occasion. Sometimes you want a more whimsical look to your cupcake. Enter the 2A swirl. I recently purchased the 2A tip, and thought that it would be very fitting atop a chocolate chip cupcake. Cute, no? You probably can't see the wrapper very well, but it's decorated with Easter bunnies. I had Easter-themed papers I bought on clearance, so I used them with the chocolate cupcake thinking that the color of the cake would obscure any design on the paper. (These were for a male co-worker's birthday) Wrong again.

No comments:

Post a Comment