Monday, August 27, 2007

Wedding cake recipe test



Still not at work yet, I've found that I'm at my wits end as to how to spend my days. Today I decided to go ahead and buy supplies for J. and K.'s wedding cake next month. There are still a few things I need to pick up (more on that later) as well as the actual cake ingredients, but I've gotten what I could from the cake store while I have the free time. Since K. decided upon a chocolate cake, I decided to experiment and see what devil's food cake would look like with the raspberry filling. I've concluded that I'm not happy with the overall look. It's just not as appealing as say, a dark chocolate cake with that glistening deep red filling sandwiched between the layers. Upon reflecting on the cupcakes I made for the bake sale two weekends ago, I realized that the color/flavor of those would almost be what I'm after. I'll compromise and do mix of the devil's food and dark chocolate fudge. I can't wait to try it.

Frosting...
I was told it would be better if the frosting wasn't pure white, since the bride's gown is ivory anyway. That makes things better since now I'm not limited to the recipes I can use. Butter is yellow. If you want pure white icing you can't have butter. Simple as that. Luckily for all involved, color is not an issue. What I whipped up today is the color of mayonnaise, a soft off-white that I think will complement the design of the cake very well. As you can see in the pictures, I had a bear of a time smoothing out the frosting. I used the "upside-down icing technique" posted on Cake Central, and one of the items listed as "necessary" was a spackling knife. I don't have a spackling knife. It's raining, and I'm too lazy to go buy one. Well guess what? It turns out that it's pretty crucial to the success of the technique, as evidenced by the stripe of icing at the top of the cake's side. *sigh* I'll have better luck next time when I adjust the recipe and mixing method. It was WAY too fluffy to smooth out and use that method. I whipped the heck out of that frosting with my KA Artisan stand mixer (in pistachio green, my fav.) Next go around I'll use less whipping cream and turn the speed down a couple of clicks. It tastes amazing though and pipes like a dream, which is one of the main things I was concerned about aside from smoothing potential. Oh well, we live and learn by our mistakes... in the meantime we have cake to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment