Monday, August 27, 2007

Hamburger Buns



Bored out of my mind and not content to settle for grocery store buns, I decided that I really wanted to try my hand at making my own. My inspiration came from last month's issue of Cooking Pleasures magazine, a publication of the Cooking Club of America (of which I am a Life Member, how geeky is that?). It showcased some innovative burger recipes as well as several recipes for homemade buns. I wasn't sure if I liked the recipe in the magazine, so some internet searching yielded the interestingly named recipe that I tried: "Moomie's Beautiful Burger Buns" from the King Arthur flour company website. I mean come on, with a name like that how could I possibly resist? I adapted the recipe to include the rising technique shown in the magazine, which utilizes a second baking sheet placed on the dough balls during the second rise to create and maintain the shape worthy of a burger bun. As far as the actual burgers... I decided to go the easy route and purchased "Pub burgers" from the Albertson's meat counter. Seasoned simply with salt, pepper, and a touch of "Ragin' Red" seasoning before being cooked on my *fake* George Foreman grill, they ended up being the perfect size for the finished buns. Red onion, green leaf lettuce, American cheese...Now that's a pretty burger.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment