Oh, how I do love The Wizard of Oz. Rainbows. Gingham. Pigtails. And a pair of fabulous red shoes. As long as I can remember, I've wanted to dress up as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz for Halloween. Wanted to, but never have (there's time yet for that!). I wish I could say that that beloved character is my namesake, but I must sadly report that it's far more likely Olympic gold-medalist figure skater Dorothy Hamill who inspired my parents. Still cool, I suppose.
- Wizard of Oz party, naturally
- Noah's Ark party for Bible camp, CCD, etc.
- Baby shower Noah's Ark theme, if you go for the pastel route
- Little girl's birthday or Easter- pastel works here, too
- St. Patrick's Day Party - garnish with gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins!
- "Coming out" party - a most fabulous addition! :D
- Circus or carnival party - decorate with animal crackers
- 80's theme/Rainbow Brite Party (remember her? Or Lisa Frank?)
- Monthly office birthdays - with so many colors, you're sure to please all the birthday gals and guys!
- I could go on and on, but you get the idea!
I know what you're probably thinking--this cake will cost way too much $$$ to make! Fresh berries, when not in season here in South Louisiana, can run you up a pretty dollar. $4.00 for a half-pint of blackberries? No thank you sir! (I'm not lucky enough to have or know someone who has blackberry bushes growing on their property.) Where...to...turn... How about the freezer section of your local mega-mart?
I was fully prepared to be met with disappointment upon opening my berry mix, bracing myself to find a bag of mostly strawberries. Instead I was greeted with an equal mix of all four berries. What an unexpected and wonderful surprise! Sorry I doubted you, Great Value® brand. Nice packaging too--looks like Wal-Mart's stepping it up!
Here's a link to the recipe again. Now go run out and make one for your next party. Don't wait for a special occasion...every day is a celebration! ♥
- This cake is tall. I mean really, REALLY tall. Six inches of rainbow glory, tall. Plan accordingly for storage purposes, or use a bigger diameter pan. Or level off the layers to make them flatter. Enjoy rainbow cake scraps before your party guests arrive.
- Mashing up the berries a bit will improve cake texture. Unless big soggy bites of exploded berries are your thang.
- If you can find it, Americolor® food color gel will make things easier. The colors seem to be more intense than Wilton® colors, so just a few drops from the squeeze bottle will do ya!