A word about doubling or tripling this recipe: Don't do it. Because these cupcakes get their poof from the vinegar and baking soda reaction (with some help from baking powder), you'll want to get these babies in the oven post-haste! You'll see what I'm talking about when you mix up your own batch--there's a heck of a lot of bubbling going on, so don't waste time trying to fill up 24 or 36 muffin cups. Make a single batch (12 cupcakes) at a time, and mix up more batter when your first batch is almost ready to come out of the oven. I made three batches, which sounds like a lot of trouble but took no time at all. These are so easy you don't even need eggs or a fancy-schmancy mixer--a whisk will get the job done just fine.
Cookies & Cream Cupcakes (adapted from VCTOTW)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup Hershey's® Special Dark™ cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Cookies & Cream frosting, recipe below
- 1 pkg. chocolate sandwich cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place 12 paper liners in a muffin pan.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside to curdle. Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in separate bowl.
- Add sugar, oil, and vanilla to milk mixture, whisking until foamy.
- Add half of dry ingredients to wet mixture. Whisk until combined. Add remainder of dry ingredients, and whisk until combined (some small lumps might remain, but that's okay).
- Pour batter into 12 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each about ¾ full. It might look like it's too much batter, but they'll be fine. Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until cakes test done. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Cupcakes might shrink a bit while cooling.
Cookies & Cream Frosting (makes enough for 36 cupcakes)
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbl. heavy cream
- 6 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed finely
- With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar to creamed mixture in 4 additions, beating well and scraping bowl after each addition. Beat for a minute or so once all the sugar has been added.
- Add vanilla extract and 2 Tbl. heavy cream, beating until combined. Add remaining cream as needed, depending on desired texture. Beat frosting for several minutes, until fluffy. Fold in crushed cookies.
To assemble cupcakes, use a medium cookie scoop to portion out scoops of frosting. Top frosting mounds with a chocolate sandwich cookie, pressing down to spread frosting out to edges of cupcake. I used a store brand cookie containing 43 cookies per pack, which ended up being the perfect amount: 36 for cupcake tops, 6 for the frosting, and 1 for the baker! Not bad :)