Saturday, May 17, 2014

Peanut Butter Flax Bites

I've been making and eating Milk Cookies almost continuously for the past five months now, and while they're really good I thought it was time for a change. I wanted to have a quick snack that still contained oats, flax, and brewer's yeast since they are all galactagogues and are good for you anyway. Tina from Mommy's Kitchen has a recipe for Cafeteria Peanut Butter Balls, and it was the perfect candidate for adapting to my needs. I replaced some of the oats with milled flax seed and threw in some brewer's yeast for good measure. Her recipe calls for mini chocolate chips, but I didn't have any on hand so I used regular sized. Next time I'll have to get the minis, because it was hard to keep the mixture together with the large chips getting in the way! The bites were a bit sweeter than I'd like (and I have a major sweet tooth!), but reducing some of the honey would mean figuring out what to use in its place. I'm not sure if adding anything "wet" would work or not, because it would hydrate the powdered milk and possibly cause the bites to spoil quickly. Any ideas?
Photobucket




Peanut Butter Flax Bites
Adapted from Mommy's Kitchen
Yield: about 3 dozen

1 cup honey
1 1/4 cups peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered milk
2 cups quick oats
1 cup milled flax seed
3 Tbl. brewer's yeast
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Combine first six ingredients in a mixer bowl. Blend together with an electric mixer until incorporated (mixture may seem dry). Stir in chocolate chips. Form mixture into desired size, rolling between the palms of your hands. A cookie scoop may be helpful for portioning, but you'll still need to roll the mixture after scooping to help it hold together. Refrigerate in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment